In today’s fast-paced business environment, many companies are taking advantage of market changes to expand through acquisitions. The transactions are becoming more and more complex. Therefore, investors need legal advice in order to structure deals optimally.
What EY Law can do for you
Companies are increasingly targeting economies of scale with mergers and acquisitions. You need efficient and effective processes both for the period immediately after the transaction and for the acquisition process itself.
We not only draw on the legal expertise of our lawyers, but also combine it with our business and tax know-how and our in-depth consulting expertise. This enables us to quickly and confidently answer a wide range of questions that a single transaction can raise.
We bring the appropriate expertise to every transaction and, if required, also specialised areas such as antitrust law, labor law, environmental laws, intellectual property rights, tax law and many other fields. We will accompany you safely to closing.
A thorough evaluation of potential transactions is more important than ever.
We support you with comprehensive advice on topics such as the following:
- Carve-outs and spin-offs
- Transaction structuring and negotiations
- Auctions and process documentation
- Due diligence on buyer and seller side
- Liabilities and equity commitment
- Sale and purchase agreements for shares and assets
- Participation and shareholder agreements
- Joint venture agreements
- Financing arrangements
- Service agreements and similar arrangements within the company
- Consultations with the union and works council
- Antitrust clearance of acquisitions or mergers
- Transaction closings and subsequent reorganizations
- Advice on takeover law and representation before the Takeover Commission and the Financial Market Authority
We advise start-ups, business angels, venture capital funds as well as institutional and strategic investors in all areas of venture capital. Founders benefit from our expertise from the establishment of a company to its financing and their exit. We support young growth companies in establishing investment structures that are advantageous from corporate and tax law perspective, as well as implementing (virtual) participation and other incentive programs. We advise venture capitalists throughout the entire investment, from legal due diligence to negotiating participation and shareholder agreements, joint ventures and convertible loans to IPOs and other exit transactions of all kinds. Thanks to our international and interdisciplinary orientation, we offer comprehensive services from a single source.
In the investment business, value is not created in a day. We therefore advise you beyond the actual acquisition and support you with advice and operational support so that you meet the constantly changing requirements of your own business and that of your portfolio companies – from entry to exit. In addition to legal due diligence in line with market requirements, our experienced team will also advise you on the preparation and negotiation of transaction documentation. Together with the private equity specialists and industry teams from EY’s service lines, we offer you a comprehensive and coordinated service and support you with technical and industry-specific know-how in buy-out transactions, recapitalizations or exit transactions. We always keep an eye on the success of your private equity investment. Because quality is our top priority.
We provide legal advice on possible merger control procedures, regardless of whether the transactions are national or cross-border.
Our legal support includes the following:
- We conduct out strategic analyses in order to identify possible problem areas and, if necessary, to examine divestments.
- Cross-border analyzes: We take a close look at the legal systems of different countries – regardless of where transactions are to take place.
- We analyze market boundaries in order to identify possible obstacles. Our lawyers work closely with business experts and specialists from other disciplines.
- We create a concept that includes key messages, possible problems and specific regional aspects.
- We advise you on the cooperation with different partners, prepare confidentiality obligations or similar agreements with you for a clear and secure cooperation and examine measures to avoid so-called gun jumping violations in the course of negotiations.
- We cooperate with the responsible authorities: from the preliminary coordination through the registration to the conclusion of the proceedings.
- If necessary, we can support you in divestment processes, for example by involving trustees in sales and acquisitions.
Our lawyers work closely with our specialists from other fields to always provide you with integrated and multidisciplinary solutions.